Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Happy Birthday Weekending

So I woke up to snow this morning. Usually the first snowfall makes me feel warm and cozy, and giddy like a little kid. Not so much today. It feels like fall is flying by. It's my favorite. This precursor of what is to come, while lovely, is not yet welcome here.

Life has been full mostly in the best of ways, which means the usual autumn lingering has not happened. I've been gone 3 of the last 4 weekends. While I've turned into quite a crazy cat homebody these last couple of years, the recent going has been good for me. The reminder of the wide world, even if it's just 90 miles from home, is overdue. It's been a nice change to get out of my comfort zone. The storyteller in me has very much enjoyed meeting new people and seeing new things even the most mundane.


Mike's birthday weekend in Chicago was really quite perfect. We took an early train to the city Friday morning. There is something deeply nostalgic about train travel. I get lost in thought as I watch out the window. Life on the side of the tracks is often not particularly beseeching. It's the underbelly of so many small towns...graffiti, garbage, abandoned junk, but every once in awhile I see something that fills me with hope like two horses running in tandem across an amber field...unbridled, free. When the scenery started to look familiar, I knew we were approaching Amy's hometown. Saturday she'd been gone for a year. A quiet cry was cathartic. Texts from the chain were hitting my phone along the way. She was on all of the minds of those who love her and feel the deep loss of an exceptional woman and friend.

We dropped our luggage off at Ted's apartment (the view is still stunning) and walked along Michigan Avenue. Workers were busy lighting everything up for the holidays. My festive meter was on high.We ended up at The Billy Goat Tavern for lunch, which was made famous by SNL's skit about their cheezeborgers back when SNL was still funny. So many greats are in these skits. Cheezeborger. Cheezeborger. Cheezeborger. No coke. Pepsi.The burger was delish and while you can order other things, I'm not sure I'd want to. We had a 2 o'clock Architectural Boat Tour that has been on my short list for a long time. It is a must do. We were a little skeptical about hanging out on the Chicago River in the Windy City in November, but the sun was shining and it was surprisingly beautiful. It was also entertaining and informative and I think the very best way to see the city. We shopped our way back to the John Hancock for a little rest and happy hour before dinner at Giordano's. The birthday boy's birthday eve choice was deep dish pizza. It's another good one, but I thought the star was the salad that I cannot wait to replicate in the near future. After the carb load and a day of fresh air, we called it a good night.

 
 









Our Saturday started as most do...with a morning walk. We walked north on Lake Shore Path out to a precarious point (imo) with the most fantastic views of the skyline and then back South and through the city doing a little exploring for next time. Walking is the best way to get bearings. It was a broody day, but only brisk. Mike wanted to watch the Badger game so we found a Bucky friendly Irish pub for bloodys and the WI slaughter. Dinner was at Eataly. Silly Wisconsonites that we are...we're not used to making reservations months in advance so our first and second choices were off the table, but this ended up being a very good third...highlights of which were Leo's generous pours, the melt in your mouth meatballs and the best ever tiramisu. We left satisfied, but not full, which was good because our 10 o'clock stop was Second City. We both laughed hard and often and thoroughly enjoyed the show. It was a bit PC, but not PG and I can appreciate humor even if it's at my expense.


 








Our last stop was the Redhead Piano Bar. It was packed to the gills, but we bellied up to the bar and belted out some tunes. When we left in the wee hours, people were still coming. Our timing meant we decided to forego Sunday's walk. Lil's was waiting at home and we were anxious to spend some time with her.


The apartment is empty until early January. We will be going back at least once...I've got to see the holiday lights. Maybe twice. I've got the bug to go again.


 

No comments: