Friday, July 1, 2022

Checking In

We were supposed to get storms last night. We didn't. I was in the mood for some raucous weather. The whole family was under the roof. Ted took the train from Chicago after work. I made a family favorite for dinner: Spanish Sheet Pan Chicken. I can now say with certainty that my kitchen mojo returns when my son comes home, although this dish is so so easy and also kind of perfect. I didn't eat with my family because I got a call from my uncle that I needed to take. I heard them talking and laughing from the other room and that was nice too.

My uncle was in a chatting mood. When he's got the gift of the gab he reminds me of my mom...his sister who was also known as Chatty Kathy. It was a good and long talk so long I had to plug my phone in and stand at the counter. He and my aunt are both dealing with major health issues reminding us all how precious our time here is. They are coming later this month for Lily's graduation celebration and staying for a few days which makes me happy. Lily too.

Tomorrow begins the annual Windmill Beach 4th of July festivities and this also makes me happy. I joked with Ted that he is missing the fireworks from the 58th floor, but he knows there's no better place than WB to celebrate this country's birthday. It's one of my favorite weekends of the summer. What's not to love about cold beer and country music on the beach by day, and bonfires and fireworks under the starry sky? It's the true manifestation of freedom, sovereignty, permission. Permission to enjoy the fruits of our labor.




No comments: