Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Weekending

What a week it's been. A return to the best days of summer. Warm and breezy and sunny without a hint of humidity. The windows have been open day and night, Tigger's a fixture on the front porch and the neighborhood is abuzz with walkers and bikers. The weekend was just the right mix of getting out and staying put. It started Thursday with an early bday celebration for Mike on Thursday night. We went out with my aunt and uncle to a well-known steak joint near their house and we all ordered burgers much to Butch's chagrin. I overheard him in the kitchen: What is this McDonald's.!? I'm telling you that it was THE best burger I've had in maybe forever and I was beyond smitten to have half for brunch the next day. We had an after dinner drink at the bar and Butch joined us. I'd truly forgotten how many connections we've had. It was a perfect night of good times, food, and wine with family.

I worked on Friday morning and then cut out early to take Lils for her annual physical. We stopped at Whole Foods after to pick up lunch. We left with a bag of groceries $97 poorer. I remember when I'd get out of there for $50 a bag. Times have changed. It was a chillax and binge watch Yellowstone night for Mike and I. I've become hooked despite the lack of likable characters. I guess Rip is the redeemer.

Saturday we had dinner at my in laws for my mil's bday. What a gorgeous day it was for a celebration. We were also able to congratulate our niece who was recently married in a small ceremony on the water. She said her vows in the middle of a lake in a canoe surrounded by other canoes and kayaks. Her brother did the honors and even serenaded the newlyweds with a sea shanty on his ukulele. It sounds about right for weddings in the time of this pandemic. I cannot wait to see what their future holds and how they top this. This is one of my favorite things about these strange times: thinking outside the box.


 My parents stopped by Sunday afternoon for a visit and to take a spin in Lil's new Jeep. I sent them home with a fresh made loaf of my Mom's pumpkin bread, some of my new go-to whole wheat chocolate chip cookies that I've made numerous times in the past weeks, and a container of old school chicken noodle soup. My dad was feeling a little out of sorts and that's a winning trifecta for improving spirits. I was busy in the kitchen putting together a care package for Teddy who is working hard this semester with plenty to spare. I dropped off cookies for dessert to our favorite neighbors and was invited for happy hour on their beautiful patio. Mike and I stayed until after dark and then came home with a piano. (Or plans to inherit their piano this week.) We gave Lily the news at dinner. She's excited to start some lessons. I just may too. We watched this week's episode of Undoing before we were done.

It was good to be reminded this weekend that we are all in all of this together. I felt grateful for my peeps. I'm a lucky lady. It was a lesson in attention. Shining the light on the bright spots. Focusing on the good, on the present and not letting the monkeys get me down.

No comments: