Tuesday, December 24, 2019

The Night Before Christmas


It's here. The time between Thanksgiving and Christmas is always so elusive. I surmise because I would prefer it linger if not last forever. There's just so much I cherish about this time of year. It's the reason I try and tick off all the boxes and fill all my tanks. It's got to last another eleven months. Oh, I'm well aware that Christmas is a state of mind and the peace, goodwill and joy aren't just December concepts, but they sure seem more abundant this time of year.

I admit that many people don't share my sentiment. The holidays are tricky times filled with land mines and ghosts and very real hardship. All I can say is that I have been there and I pray nightly for peace in every heart and abundance in every life. Then there are those who find it all too much work...a burden...a drain. And I've been there too. To you I say get rid of the things that suck the spirit out of your season. I axed cards years ago, changed up my cookie routine this year, and say yes only when I truly feel the chi. 



Despite all the attention these past stretch of weeks, there are still a few last minute gifts to buy, a pile of gifts to wrap, a long list of dishes to prepare and a messy house to ready for Christmas Day company. This all must be accomplished before mass this afternoon. It's but one reason I'm up early this morning. The other is that I am soaking in these moments of solitude. This tree side peace and quiet are fuel for the next few days.


We're already off to a stellar start. T Bone came home Thursday and it's as wonderful as I anticipated being a family of five again. Friday Jess came over with ingredients to make her grandma's date balls and sandbakkels. The balls were a breeze, but the sand tarts were a little more tricky. We kept the wine flowing until we finally mastered the technique. We had the Christmas spirit and angel inspiration. And also a fun, memorable night. I should have been doing many other things, but I wanted to bake with my frister and so I did. Then Saturday I was back in the kitchen with Teddy. He promised a crepe cake for dessert at my brother's that night. We were due at 5 o'clock. He started this ambitious recipe at 4 o'clock. With a little help from dad on the crepes and from mom on ganache, he came bearing an impressive and delicious 20 layer cake. Again, I didn't need to be going for dinner the night before a Christmas celebration, but it was what I wanted to do. I managed to make a Caesar salad and French Silk pie in time for our noon time celebration with Mike's family Sunday. It was a lovely day. My nieces and nephews are all grown up and such interesting people. It's so fun to see them come into their own. Ted was asked a gazillion questions and it was fun to hear his answers. He also got lots of advice from his aunt and uncle who are college professors. Free advice is money.











Tonight we will attend church, get Chinese takeout and open our gifts. I decided I didn't want to cook. I want the focus to be on spending time together. And tomorrow's menu is stacked with everyone's favorites. We'll host Christmas Day brunch. My table is already set. The hydrangeas already died. I may or may not replace them. Working hard not to let perfect ruin good. It's hard. Also remembering the reason for the season. That is not hard.


Wishing a very Merry Christmas to anyone who stops by here to visit my little place on the www.







No comments: