Monday, March 20, 2023

be.here.now

Lil's spring break came to an end on the first day of spring. I drove her back early this morning after a quiet week filled with quality time. Yesterday was my favorite of the days. We were belly up to the altar for the fourth Sunday of Lent. Father Joe gave a spirited homily to a full church and we sang all four verses of Amazing Grace loud and quite beautifully. Then we stopped out for a post worship brunch. We all ordered right and left needing a little down time. See below.

 

We rallied for a visit with my aunt and uncle. They are moving again at a most opportune time, if there is such a thing. Lily is moving into a house in the fall. A few years ago they moved for what they thought would be a few months from the first house they built to a rental while their dream house was constructed. Teddy was the lucky benefactor of downsizing. So it is timely for furnishing Lil's new apartment, but it's a move I selfishly wish they were not making. Arizona is a long way away. Sigh.

My brother and sister-in-law stopped by to bid Lil's adieu when we got home. Windmill Beach is getting torn down this week and they had pictures of the giant excavator just waiting on the beach to do the deed. It put a little more weight on my heavy heart. We were prepared for it to change, not be demolished. Sigh. But alas it is but a cottage, and what comes next will boast its own magic.

We finished our yummy calzones from the night before for dinner while we binged The Walking Dead. We took a break from the tv to finally play Wizard. I beat Mike and Lily badly so I had the most fun. I only rubbed it in a little.

 


It was an ordinary day that felt extraordinary and Monday morning came too soon, but we hit the road with our coffees and our sunnies. Yep, we needed those. 

We did a drive by Orchard Street where Lily will be living next semester. It looks like a nice, well-cared for house. We were both most excited for the big front porch that will accommodate an outdoor seating area and lots of lights and lanterns. I drove through campus to the far west end to deliver Lily to Spanish class. It was a rush driving on streets I once called my own...bustling with students hurrying to their 9:55s. I both miss it and I don't. I know that's a contradiction, but I have a feeling it's one many can relate to. I'd go back for a day, a week maybe. 

 

I sang out loud the entire way home along to one playlist or another. A quick stop to drop off a shepherd's pie for my parents and I was back on the road. That home cooking was just an excuse btw. They've been sick for the past week and I wanted to see them. I almost didn't because I spent more time than anticipated in Madison, but I couldn't be that close and not visit. I was really glad I did too because my dad was pretty happy to see me and grateful for the gesture. I drove the rest of the way home feeling grateful myself. It's so easy in this life to say no when we ought to say yes. And yes when we ought to say no. It's easy to say tomorrow, next week, next time, some day. As far as we know, we have today. This one day. That's why I wake up every morning saying be.here.now. Then I repeat it at least a hundred times more. I have to because I often find myself stuck in the past or pining for the future.

As I turned into my subdivision, Mason Jennings' Be Here Now was in cue. How about that? The universe is always listening. We should too.


 

No comments: