Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Weekending Before Christmas

This time next week, we'll be done celebrating Jesus's birth and on to celebrating Ted's 22nd. Not at all wishing the in between away...just keeping it real with where I am at. I've been very zen this holiday season. Zen as in not getting worked up in a frenzy about anything. Until today. This morning's ominous weather forecasts promising a snow bomb cyclone within 48 hours for 48 hours gave me a panic. I'm not even sure what a snow bomb cyclone is, but I am sure it's not good for last minute shopping and traveling. 

Lily talked about this storm over a week ago. It was the buzz in her weather class. I wish I'd listened to her. If only I'd done the rest of my chasing last weekend instead of enjoying...really enjoying...a very chill weekend at home. Ted and Meryl stopped by late afternoon to have a quick bowl of Chicken Wild Rice Soup and pick up the keys for Chicago where they were spending the weekend. We finished decorating our tree Friday evening and then settled in to watch Spirited, which we adored. I love me some Will Farrell. 

Saturday was designated baking day so Lily, Gus and I got busy in the kitchen while the sweetest flurries fluttered all day. She is such a help and a joy to cook with. Gus not so much. We got a later start than I had hoped and only got about 5 batches done before the sun set. We decided to skip our plans to go out for dinner and instead invited Jess to come over for tacos. Tacos never tasted so good after a day of sweet sampling. We had great fun playing our new family fave, Blank Slate. Jess stayed past midnight so I think she had fun too! We sent her home with a box full of cookies.

Sunday I was up early and baking away all day. Again it snowed and the sun stayed hidden. My kitchen was cozy and I was in my happy place. My brother and sister in law stopped by for a quick catch-up and we sent them home with a cookie sampler. This is why I bake btw. Sunday was de ja vu. Leftover tacos and another movie. Knives Out. It was entertaining.

This week's plan is in limbo because of the weather, but I'll just keep plugging along until I cannot and then I'll happily shut in and watch the snow fall in my warm, cozy house. 



No comments: