Friday, December 16, 2022

1 Week and 1 Day

I found my voice and then I lost it. Life has been good, but I have been blah. I feel ashamed that I'm not channeling my Christmas spirit. I haven't given up. I was just reminded by the host on the radio that I have 1 week and 1 day.

It's a definite boost that Lily came home Tuesday night and we baked the first 2 batches of Christmas cookies. Then she recreated a Brussel's sprout dish she had the week before and loved. Think sweet and spicy. They were delish with Mike's cast iron chicken. Yes, dinner was at 9:00, but it was worth the wait.

We watched the Survivor final while we ate and I was truly touched by Gabler's generosity. We need more Gablers in this world. This was one of my favorite casts and seasons ever. 

We were going to bedazzle the tree last night. I cannot remember a Christmas where the tree is still bare this late in December so it was time, but Lily went to see a friend she was missing. Hazel and Finn were curled up in a bed tree-side. Hugging cats amps up the hygge. Gus was lounging under the tree like the boss he is. I hung a few ornaments and could have kept going, but I decided to wait until tonight to keep the tradition of decorating with my daughter.

Mike was out so I decided to finish the Harry and Meghan PR piece documentary. I'm indifferent about the royals. I don't quite understand the fascination. I've always said that I pity them because they have no autonomy or anonymity, and if anything this series reaffirmed my feelings. I like Harry. I like Meghan too. I like H and M more for their exit from the imperial circus. I struggled with why they would even want to air their grievances when it looks to me like they have a beautiful love story and a very happy life. They are free.

I'm looking forward to a cozy weekend. No Christmas parties, some baking and shopping and holiday movie watching. I'm advocating for mass on Sunday. That is a definite spirit infusion. We had dinner dates with friends the past couple weekends...an impromptu spaghetti dinner with my brother and sister in law one night. Low key and quaint is my happy place. 

I think we're on our 10th day of gray. I may be the only person that finds this comforting. Snow flurries are in the foreseeable forecast. We just may get a white Christmas this year. 

 





No comments: