Thursday, August 11, 2022

Happy Birthday Weekending

 











 




I'm at the point of the summer where I'm taking stock of all the things I haven't done. Celebrating Lily is not one of them. Graduating and a milestone birthday are good reason for a party...partTAYS. After Saturday's beach bash, I think she's been more than properly celebrated.

We had the most perfect day at Windmill Beach. It was warm, sunny and breezy for most of the day and while the lake was cool, it was getinable. A strange fog moved in late afternoon. In all our times here, that was a first. It was time to take a beach break for dinner anyways. Smores were dessert so they headed back to the beach for a bonfire.

At the stroke of midnight all the girls stormed the beach and went for an inaugural dip under the stars. That's a stellar way to kick off a new trip around the sun and I just know it's going to be a year for the books for my best girl.

I'm not sure when or if some of the chicas even went to bed, but I managed to get my minimum of 5 hours. I set an alarm for sunrise. It was cloudy and lackluster, but not a total bust because I was up with Lily at the exact minute of her birth 18 years ago. The rest of the house was asleep. Finally.

They managed to get in a quick swim after breakfast and before the rain came, and even though it was an icky day some friends lingered. I got the feeling they were putting off goodbyes. This week they start to leave for schools around the country and it's a happysad time for all of them.

We promised that we will do it again when she turns 21 if not before.




No comments: