Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Weekending

Today would have been a good day to know the weather. I woke up to at least six inches of snow and it's still coming down. It's the kind of snow that you cannot see the road from the yard: a world literally white washed. It's the kind of day that I love with all my heart especially when I don't have to go anywhere. Luckily I can stay home today. Thankfully my brother in law has offered to clear my driveway as Mike is gone. I'm grateful he's such a good guy because when he's done, I'm going to ask him to drive me to Lil's friend's house where she enjoyed some much needed girl time and a sleepover last night, so that I can drive her car home. She has little experience with this kind of driving. Ted is on my shit list for timing his exit to Madison so cleverly.



Actually, I take that back. The timing was not at all very smart. We didn't get on the road until 3 o'clock. That was after he slept in, had a workout, recovered his lost wallet, packed, stopped at the grocery and at Costco. The car was packed by me and Lils while he made a smoothie and heated up some lunch. The irony in this is that we knew this day was coming from the day he came home in mid December. How is it always such a cluster you know what? He drove 80 and we jammed to his tunes for the 90 miles. I've been listening to them for so long, they almost feel like my tunes now. I'm not going to miss them though. I was grateful we didn't get a ticket. We sherpad in all of his belongings, made his bed, put away some of his clothes and then we Houdinied before dark only to find a parking ticket on the car. I knew there would be a ticket some time that day.

We skipped a stop at the outlet mall trying to beat the snow that was supposed to start at 6 o' clock. We did go thru the Chick Fil A line for dinner. Our first and last meal of the day. I enjoyed every bite of my chicken sandwich while watching the Bachelor. Yes, I'm admitting it. After breaking ties for numerous seasons, I've been sucked back in. I realized that it was the first time I've been alone in my house in as long as I can remember. I poured a glass of wine and enjoyed the quiet. Weekday wine is not a thing right now. Vacationday wine is though, and for the record, so is snowday wine. Keeping it real.




The weekend was a gem. Cousin Gina came to town and she joined us at Windmill Beach for the fourth annual WB Winter Olympics. There was much reminiscing (she was 10 when Ted was born), competing and catching up. Mike was the champ again this year upsetting Ted's two year run. I was just happy to take the bronze in ping pong and the gold in Boggle. My brother conceded after one word game in the finals realizing he could never come back. My trash talking worked. We had a delicious Mexican feast, but I think the egg sandwiches the next morning were my fave after staying up almost until sunrise. We never learn.








 

 

We ended up staying for the Packer game. Their play was a serious disappointment. And just like that the season's over. We got home after dark, which was not the plan at all, but we were in a go with the flow state of mind. It's something I'm working on this year. I started on laundry STAT and tried to get as prepared as possible for the next day's trips as I'm still anal to the core.




I was sad to see Gina go and sad to take Ted back, but happy for the time together. She's doing great in Austin, a city I'd love to and will visit one day, and Ted is back living his own life in his cozy apartment with a stocked frig. Life is good and boy do I know it.

No comments: