Thursday, October 29, 2020

Weekending

It's already Thursday, and I'm just now here to write about last weekend...on the cusp of another weekend. I'm not inclined to write much lately. I think that's because life has become very small in 2020. That's not a bad thing either, but there is a quiet redundancy that does not call for frequent testimony. Of course, Covid is a bad thing, but good things can come from adversity. I can also say that I feel protective of my opinions right now and that exercising my First Amendment rights seems like something that is inviting reproach. But I digress because what I came here to espouse upon was the wonderful weekend we had celebrating our 25th anniversary. Twenty-five years! We went 30 miles north and it was another world. Life has not changed much in small town America and I cannot lie: it felt like a breath of fresh air. For the most part, people were practicing social distancing and wearing masks, but they were not fear mongering. They were living their lives, taking care of business, celebrating birthdays and anniversaries, and smiling behind their masks.


 We took our time getting on the road Friday much to Miss Bit's chagrin because it was another rainy, chilly day in a stubborn forecast of foul weather. Lil's was excited to have the house all to her very own self...something that is a rarity now that we're all homebodies. And yes, we can trust our sixteen year old to stay home for a weekend solo. We picked up groceries and lunch on the way to Windmill Beach. The plan for the night was to find a place to watch the first Badger game of the season. We settled on a little place in Belgium sight unseen and we lasted until half-time. We love local haunts, but this place was indeed haunted, think Twilight Zone, and despite the fact that it was a sports bar, they had two tiny televisions. We went next door to quaint Lake Church for the second half, and it was a good move on all fronts. We enjoyed our night out alone together.


 Saturday morning we were up early anticipating Pete and Sue's arrival. They've never been to WB or any of the little towns in the vicinity so we were excited to show them around. And we definitely made the rounds. It was a dry day and the sun even showed up for a bit so it was perfect for bumming around. We stopped at the Oostburg bakery for goodies for Sunday morning, visited the Sheboygan farmer's market and lamented all weekend that we didn't buy the pork bundle. We had a boozy lunch at Il Ritrovo. Pizza four ways...well, two as the boys had the same pie. I am a pizza Napolitano girl. Upon our waiter's, Mr. Personality's, rec, I ordered the Occhio di Bue and now I will want a soft egg on every pizza I order. He also hooked me up with an oaked Montepulciano that sort of blew my taste buds. We cleaned our plates and then headed north to Kohler for some shopping and late afternoon cocktails. I love gifty type stores because I can always find something unique. Something for me, something for Lil and something for Ted. She was happy with the fru fru facial kit and nostalgic candy I brought home. His goodies are in route to him via USPS so hopefully he gets them before Halloween. Our last stop before heading home was the Market at Wood Lake to pick up the fixings for dinner. It was a no brainer: steak, shitakes, shrimp, potatoes and asparagus washed down with a nice Stags Leap...easy and festive. We toasted long lasting marriages and friendships early into the morning.

 

I was up first on Sunday so I finally finished my book. We had a slow start, but eventually we bundled up and walked what we could of the beach both ways. The lake is high and the beach is non-existent to the north and the south after a few houses. We hiked up deserted Marine drive instead. The eagles were in their nest. The colors are past peak, but the trees are still showy. I made a late brunch when we got home: eggs benedict and fruit. The boys watched a little more football, played another game of crib and Sue and I enjoyed the view that never gets old for a little longer before packing up. It started to snow before we hit the road. That was a bit serendipitous. We arrived home at dinner time, and Lils was surprisingly happy to see us. Tigger waited for us in our bed the 48 hours we were away. And as always, it was wonderful to be away and even better coming home to Casa Wags.

 
 


No comments: