Sunday, January 26, 2020

weekending

I could have sworn the sun was shining when I woke up from another crazy dream this morning. It's not. The sky is colorless. All the snow we were supposed to get the last stretch of days was mostly rain. This has been such a strange winter.

It's been a good weekend though. We had a marathon night out Friday and a Netflix marathon day in yesterday. We had tickets to a story slam. Mike, Candace and I sat under the twinkle lights at Turner Hall and listened to stories about middle school. The stories were not the best I've heard, and yet I cannot bring myself to imagine stepping on stage. I even blushed when two of my shorts were read. Two of the tellers were deaf and that was quite something really. To watch their signs and hear them rich with inflection and pause as told by the translator. We approached one young woman at the end of the night and did our best to communicate with her that we loved her story. She got it. It wasn't hard.

We weren't quite ready for the night to end so we stopped off at Jackson's for beer and a bite. I don't drink beer often, but I most often drink it here in honor of my Uncle Vic who was the very last man standing when the Pabst Brewery finally closed years ago. I have to tell you that the fresh draft beer tastes delicious in the hefty glasses they use. Glasses like my mom used to have. Those glasses are another of the night's stories. The beer also tastes quite good with fried cheese curds and grilled buffalo wings. Not the healthiest of late night snacks.

We dropped Candace at home and then Mike surprised me with another stop. Our local Cheers was filled with familiar faces. We were there so long that Lily texted to see when we'd be coming home.

And that is why yesterday was slow and lazy. Mike ran out for Kopp's cheeseburgers at 2:30. It was the only meal of the day, and incredibly satisfying. Tigger stayed by my side (or on my lap) all day and night. We had to force ourselves to abandon Outlander and get to bed. I fell asleep before finishing my prayers and I slept straight through the night.

Today I feel like a million bucks. The rest of the house is sleeping. Tigger is back in our spot waiting for me. He'll be waiting awhile. Today's list is long and I plan to tackle it. I love Sundays. 

No comments: