Friday, November 2, 2018

Grateful Friday

Today I give thanks for...

Another good week of work. I flew solo at the office today and it went well...even the things that didn't...at first. I even managed to get out early.

I had my last Wednesday with Sylvia this week. I'm going to miss her dry humor, her earned wisdom and also our Scrabble matches. I left with a win. I finally beat her even if only by a few points.

The fall colors are something to stop and take notice of. I saw a yellow tree this week that took my breath away. The word that is on the tip of my tongue is resplendent.

Halloween was sort of a non-event at Casa Wags this year. There were no costumes this year and no carving either. And I felt nostalgic for it all, but only just a little. Instead of Halloween activities, Lily was in her room reading Homer and Ted and I worked on editing his essays before sending in the first of his college applications. Kids grow up...it's what they do. Time moves on. It's what it does. It always will, but deep inside my mama heart, time stands still.

Memories.



Teddy's very first time in Madison. The first college ap he sent was to UW. He's headed there tomorrow for some Badger football with friends. It may become an important part of his future.

Lily was awarded team player at the golf banquet this week. Olivia said some very nice things about Lily. Namely that she's one of the kindest, friendliest people she knows and she's known her all her life.

Mike and I had a fun date night last Friday. We went out to an old haunt for one of our favorite pizzas. They are known for their garlic bread which is bathed in butter. I also am a big fan if their Italian salad and house chianti. It was a really good night. He's planned another night out for the two of us tomorrow.


We finished The Haunting of Hill House this week. I appreciate a good ghost story. This one was well-told and I'm sad it's over. I totally believe in ghosts by the way.

I also have been finding the moon to be a muse lately.



 The sunrise continues to dazzle.


I started not one, but three new books that were waiting for me at the library. They are very different. The Terrible is a storyteller's memoir: lyrical and haunting. The Light Between Us is about the thin veil between the living and the dead. It's written by a psychic. Bad Blood is the story of Theranos. It's one of arrogance, greed and hubris.


Things are starting to get back to normal. I'm reading again and cooking too. This week I made Pioneer Woman's creamy chicken enchiladas. They tasted much better than they looked. I'm obviously not a food photographer. And that Mexicorn is so easy and so good.


 Now I just have to make time for exercise again. I'm thinking this week.

No comments: