Sunday, November 18, 2018

Three Stories

I firmly believe that people come into our lives for a reason. It may be cliche, but yes, as a lesson or a blessing. Sometimes...oftentimes...both. I don't believe in coincidence. I do believe in causal connections. Let me tell you a story.

My friend's mom put me in touch with my new boss. I was offered the job on my mom's birthday. I took it as the sign I needed to leave my previous toxic employer. I never went back except to tender my resignation and deliver keys. When I showed up for my first day on my new job two weeks later, Sue first asked me about whether my daughter knew her great niece because we lived in the same city. I told her that yes they know one another and that I also know her niece. That's when the real connection became apparent. Sue's sister, Geri, was a very good friend of my mom's. In fact Sue had met my mom. Sue and I had a connection. Geri and Sue no longer had a connection, but that night they texted one another and Sue had some hope that maybe that would change. She's a good one, Geri told Sue about me. Sue is training me. I'll be replacing her. We have both agreed that we'll remain friends even after I am ready to go it alone. Sue has been like an angel in my life. She is making this transition smooth and showing me patience and encouragement and kindness. I told my husband during my first week of knowing and working with Sue that she is one of the best people I have ever met.

Let me tell you another story.

Sue and Linda don't get along. I'll be working for and with Linda. Linda is always loud and often gruff and very particular. She's also smart and successful and she can even be sweet. She calls me honey. I think we will get on just fine together even though working for her is not always easy. See she very much reminds me of my late cousin Carol. The similarities are striking. All of the things that bother Sue, one of the best people I know, about Linda remind me of my cousin Carol, one of the best people I knew. I made a big mistake the other day and she said, Don't worry honey...everything is going to work out. 

One last story.

My friend Rosebud put me in touch with her friend Jen a couple years ago and then again many months ago. Jen needed a writer. The first time we never connected. In March we started talking and did a little work together. We found that we have very much in common. One thing we share that is unique is that we are empaths...we are highly intuitive. One thing we don't is that Jen is a dreamer and a risk-taker. I tend to play it safe. She has changed her vision for our collaboration many times. I've felt frustrated at times and excited at others. I still don't know what will come of this professionally, but I do think personally she has encouraged my growth and that is quite something.

And about that connection...about a month ago I came home from a trip to the ER and Jen was calling me from thousands of miles away as soon as I walked in the door. Are you okay, she asked. No, I'm not, I replied. I knew it, I felt that you were not ok, Jen said. 

Lessons. Blessings.

No comments: