Friday, November 9, 2012

Grateful Friday

Today I give thanks for...

The wonderful northwood's retreat we enjoyed last weekend.  It is a blessing and a gift to get out of dodge once in awhile.  This photo makes me happy.  It reminds me that spending time in nature is grounding, spending time with family is restorative...family will always have your back, and that we never know what lies ahead, yet forward on the road we travel.  Forward we travel together.


The election is over.  I am worried about the future with a country so divided and citizens so cantankerous.  This week I've steered clear of all airwaves and print media, and I feel saner for it.  Whoever said ignorance is bliss was onto something.

Giving myself a much needed day of lounging Wednesday.  I stayed in my pjs all day long and I didn't feel guilty for it.  I only changed out of them to put on a clean pair before bed.  I watched 2 movies, read 2 books, played a game and made a pot of chicken noodle soup.

I finally finished The Happiness Project.  Actually, I read it twice almost cover to cover back to back.  The first time I read it focusing on Rubin's experience.  The second time I changed the lens to better define what my own project might look like.  I think it's something I am going to do...probably starting in January.  I believe that happiness takes effort and discipline, and I know I could work harder to act the way I want to feel.  This seems like a good way to ensure that I'm maximizing my happiness.

Reading about Old Dan and Little Ann with Miss Bit.  I love that she is quite capable of reading this classic all by herself, but that she still enjoys when I read to her.

The Other Boleyn Girl.  Since I finished this book earlier this fall, I've been anxious to see the movie. I enjoyed both immensely...surprisingly.  Surprising since historical fiction isn't usually my go to genre.  But those royals...those royals are so scandalous and shameless.  In comparing the two, I have to say that the book seemed too long and the movie a bit short.  I was annoyed by how much of the story was left out of the movie.  I loved the casting though.
Stock is not stock.  I followed the recipe from this cookbook to a tee (well, almost) the first time I made chicken stock this fall.  It was good enough to serve alone...rich, dark, layered, deep.  Then I improvised this week, and while it was still good, it was not as good.

This astute comment made by my girl this week: You know what I don't like about library books?  You don't know where they've been.

Lots of projects this weekend...in the yard, in the kitchen, at the kitchen craft table and a little party planning.  I am in a serious nesting at home mode and it's a good thing.

Last minute plans this evening to catch up with a girlfriend, and Coach for embracing my sudden sisterly spontaneity.





No comments: