Tuesday, May 10, 2022

Weekending

Even though it was Mom's Day weekend I agreed to a 36 hour road trip (11 of which were spent in the car) with Jess. Her cousin had the lead role as Violet in Milliken University's spring musical. She graduates in 2 weeks and is NYC bound to try to make her way as a performer. I don't want to jinx anything by throwing that B avenue out there, but she certainly has the potential, the talent, the desire. Godspeed Paige.

I love theatre, but there is something extra special (hopeful and inspiring) about up and coming artists. The energy is off the charts. The rawness of their performances is refreshing. This theatre was small. Another word for small is intimate. That definitely adds to a performance as well. I spent a good amount of time watching the audience filled with friends and family members because I was living vicariously through them. Paige had quite a contingency most of them women: mom, aunts, cousins, a sister, an 87 year old Grandma, and it struck me as the perfect way to spend Mother's Day weekend...in the company of so many generations of women supporting women.


It's funny, but it made me happy, not blue. Happy because it reminded me of all the times my mom was my cheerleader. I had my time with her Friday afternoon. I set out on a solo trail walk with the idea that I'd think about her. My energy was received. I found two heart shaped rocks too big to put in my pocket right between a single blooming daffodil that was a beacon in the woods. That's what I call a universe moment. They are humbling, hopeful and healing. Heart shaped rocks being our thing. One of our things.

 

I came home Sunday evening to a little celebration and lots of flowers. Ted even sent me a bouquet and that was a nice surprise since I know he's in the middle of exams. Mike and Lily made me dinner. Mike was on steak and Lily fixed my new favorite Brussels sprouts. There was wine and dessert. I know how lucky I am for all of it, them, this.

 

No comments: