Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Weekending

Life has been full to the brim the past two weeks in the best possible way. There is a bit of a lull in the medley and so I'm here to play catch up. Catch up is what we did with our cousins who came to town for a whirlwind visit. We came home Wednesday from Madison after a 12 hour packing/cleaning/moving day with only enough time to shower, which I'm quite sure they appreciated. It's been three years since we've been together so it's a good thing I got my second and then third wind. TJ and I stayed up until 3:30 sharing one more glass and then one more bottle of wine. It was great to finally meet his new wife although it feels like I've known her forever. Kate fits right in and we all adored her charm, warmth, wit and candor. TJ radiates happiness and that alone is good enough for me.

After a quick quiche Lorraine and copious amounts of coffee, we packed up for a day at Windmill Beach. It was sunny and steamy and so absolutely perfect. The water temp was phenomenal and the waves were breaking. Our new party island arrived and we took our maiden voyage. It was a good purchase because there is nothing like floating around in the water having fun in the sun. She has room for 7, a cooler, and an anchor. I'm telling you that I could have stayed in the lake all day, and it was really hard saying goodbye, but we had to get home to have dinner with grandma and grandpa.

 




Again we rolled in with just enough time to rinse off. TJ and I tag teamed a yummy charcuterie board. He and Kate brought some delicious Vermont cheddars from their time there. We served up traditional Milwaukee fare in honor of Kate's first visit: brats, corn on the cob, potato salad and watermelon, but the star of the evening was the lively conversation and the company of loved ones. TJ and I didn't call it a night until 5:30 in the morning, but it was worth it to maximize our limited time.

Friday was a recovery day and that was a good thing because Saturday was Lily's birthday. We celebrated at the Brewer's game. She made the jumbo tron and Grandpa went around the entire section to get then to sing happy birthday to her. Next year he plans to get the whole stadium in on the chorus. It was one of the sweetest things he's ever done. The team lost, but it was still a great night even though we had to run in a total deluge to the car and could barely see the road on the way home.


We did Lil's bday dinner on Sunday night. Jess came to celebrate with us. The birthday girl requested Curry Chicken. I didn't have time to bake a cake and really thought she wouldn't miss it, but when I told her sundaes were for dessert, he response told me otherwise. "You didn't get a cake!?" No, and your present is not coming until mid week. I dropped the ball just a tad on this one, but I know she still felt the love and we are planning a friend party at Windmill Beach before summer's end. I'll have two cakes for that one!
 




No comments: