Saturday, June 1, 2019

Life is Good

Lily woke me early this morning. She wanted help filling out her tax forms before work. She's at the golf course teaching pee wee golf now. The air is thick and the sky is foreboding. Thunder rumbles in the distance. This would be the perfect morning for sleeping in. It's not such a great morning for golf.

It was a short week that felt long. What ended up being a fabulous five day weekend, was full, and the days that followed maintained a similar pace. Things are winding down and gearing up at the same time. There's excitement and bathos and angst and awe. Ted spent the day with his physics class at an amusement park mid-week and it struck me as the perfect metaphor for all the ups and downs we're feeling. 

His golf season ended with a strong finish on Tuesday. There will be no run for state. He missed by a stroke. I'm so grateful that I took the day Tuesday to walk Whistling Straits with him. With him and his entourage. Mike and I were joined by my dad, my brother and my sister in law. A few of his friends cheered him on too. He's a lucky guy. It was a great day despite the cold mist and the cutting wind straight off the lake. The Irish Course is amply named. It's beautiful even on a cold, gray day. We climbed bluffs following Teddy for 6 1/2 miles. He was even after 12 holes, which is impressive given the course and the conditions. Then he had two tough holes and that cost him. He came home that night, took a long shower and went to cheer on his baseball team so I think he was at peace with how things ended.














   


Sunday we enjoyed a quick overnight at Windmill Beach. I didn't bring a bathing suit, but Lily and her friend did. They actually swam in the water I could barely dip my toes in. We walked down the beach to see the eagle's nest. Both mom and dad were perched in the tree. At gloaming we would see them soar by just above the water as the sky turned from blue, to lavender to cotton candy pink. It's like magic. Ted and his buddy came from a practice round on the Irish Course famished. It was a good thing that the 4 racks of ribs and 3 large boxes of mac and cheese were almost ready. The kids headed home after dinner. Teenagers. We stayed up too late playing a very funny game of Cranium. I still cannot hum. Adults behaving like teenagers.






  
  
  


   


   
   
The boys headed north Monday morning to play 9 that turned into 18. Ashley and I had a quiet morning watching the lake and catching up. I headed home mid-day so I could get some things done. Lily and I made a Michael's run for Ted's graduation party and then we ended up at TJ Maxx. I should know better to take my little shopper there. It's always expensive, and yet it's also good mother daughter time. So is sharing delicious leftover key lime pie from the night before.



We gathered for family dinner Monday night all tired and in need of a balanced meal. Balsamic chicken, pasta aglio olio and roasted asparagus never tasted so good. I cherish these simple occasions more than I can express.


People ask me when the last day of school is, and I just say 'soon." I'm in a bit of denial. This last day of high school always seemed so far away in the future. I cannot fathom how it can already be here. At an awards ceremony this week, I felt a mama's pride for all the recipient's. It's a smart, accomplished, close knit group this class of 2019. I'm truly excited for Teddy and also grateful for everyone who has had a hand in getting him to this point. He is surrounded by that village we know it takes. A village of family and friends and teachers and coaches.




Candace came for a walk Thursday afternoon and she surprised me with a portrait of Ted. A portrait of one of my favorite pictures of Ted. I was blown away by the way she captured him. It's something else that I cherish. Her gift, her talent, her friendship. After we logged miles, we shared a bottle of champs. It's not lost on me how lucky I am for my tribe too.

Life is often hard, but it is more often good. Damn good.

No comments: