Monday, December 24, 2018

Merry Christmas!

Before the rush of the day calls, It's important that I spend a moment here. I've thought about writing numerous times, but other things are taking precedence. Things like an impromptu dinner out with friends after a haircut, a spontaneous happy hour with another friend, a lovely last minute dinner with old friends, drinks beside my brother's fire on the Eve Eve. Yes, last minute.There have also been wrapping sessions and shopping sprees and batch after batch. Cookies ready to put in a pretty tin and bottles of homemade Irish Cream come in extra handy when someone drops in or you accept an invitation. Spreading the love and cheer is one of my favorite things this time of year. My Jewish co-workers were giddy over the tray I brought into the office and sweet Sylvia's eyes lit up when she realized the plate of cookies I brought her were all homemade. She sampled one of each before I left. That is joy.

We made it to mass every Sunday this advent and yet I am already feeling a little sad that we will not be able to make Christmas Eve mass this year. It's what makes Christmas Christmas for me. Yesterday the kids took a pass on church. I decided to let the family sleep in and attend late mass so they had plans. I wasn't pleased, but they are beyond the ages where I feel I must drag them to pray. It is their choice. Mike and I sat in our pew, which was extra roomy. Father talked about the extraordinary ordinary and for me that resonated loudly. It was a humble sermon about recognizing our gifts. Violinists accompanied the organ and it was beautifully reverent. We hummed Silent Night at the end of mass and then Mike and I waited in line to light candles. It was a good start to the day.

We made a pit stop at Glorioso's like everyone else in the city. We'd never seen it so crowded. We picked up the fixings for Detroit Style Pizza at Teddy's request. Then we stopped at another store to get kielbasa for Lily. It's a family tradition to serve it with cinnamon rolls on Christmas morning. Lily and I ran out to finish up her shopping. Teddy shopped on his own this year. Well, in full disclosure he did text me a bazillion times while he was out yesterday trying to find something for his uncle. He will resume his search when he wakes soon...I'm hoping.

He turns 18 in 3 days. And he just got word that he was accepted at Madison! Admissions were brutal this year...extra competitive and 95 kids from his class applied. He texted us when he found out and then wrote...Thank you guys! It was all with your help and love. That unsolicited acknowledgement was the only gift I need this year. Well, that and an acceptance. He's not 100 percent that he wants to go there.

We pulled off a surprise birthday celebration for him with his 12 closest friends last weekend. They enjoyed wings and football. I was impressed that a dozen 17 and 18 year old boys kept a secret because T Bone was genuinely surprised when I delivered him to the restaurant. He thought we were going in for a gift card for his cousin. Everyone should have at least one surprise party in their lifetime.

I'm going to sign off now. I've got one more batch to bake and a few dishes to make. There are a couple more gifts to wrap and one yet to be delivered, but I feel mostly calm and happy. Grateful too for the gifts of my family and friends. Merry Christmas!




















No comments: