Friday, December 14, 2018

Grateful Friday

Today I give thanks for...

So much since I've last checked in here. It's been a fine stretch of days and full too. I'm especially grateful for the day off today. With Christmas just over a week away, I'm feeling the pull to finish preparations. I want to tackle the rest of the shopping so I can enjoy the Irish cream I'm going to make this weekend treeside at night feeling peace not pressure.


Mike is off too. It is our tradition to take a day in December to go in search of gifts. We'll stop for some lunch late afternoon and likely toast our good fortune - fortune in finding the right gifts and in being in a position to do so. It's something I never take for granted. Ever.


Scenes from this morning.



After he polished off three cinnamon buns and was waiting for his sister to come down, he studies a few more minutes for his stats test today.
  

She forgoes breakfast these days and spends the extra time finding the right outfit. Note her shoes here.


In the minute between photos, she changed them. I insisted on a photo this morning because I feel like  we are in the end of days here. These days that is. This time next year, Teddy will be coming home from college after his fist semester.

Lily won't be moving into Teddy's room when he leaves despite the fact it's much bigger than her's. We just did the second redo of her lair in as many years. She wanted and needed a bigger bed, which of course requires new bedding, and she was going for a little more grown up vibe. It's not quite done, but I think it looks great thus far. She's happy too. The best part was that she and her dad spent last Sunday together building her bed. With Peanut's supervision, of course.




The cats have been having a blast with the box her mattress came in. It's open on either end so it's a tunnel. They chase each other through it and they perch on the mattress ready to surprise attack. The mattresses are getting picked up Monday, but I fear this box will be in our foyer for a long time.


Then they crash. 



This is the view from my lap this morning. 


And the view of the patio.



It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas around here.


The kids and the cats helped trim our family tree without begging or bribery.




  

  

The first batch of Christmas displayed on my new Vietri platter. There have been numerous batches since and a few still to go.


Detroit-style pizza. It's a family favorite. So favorite that Teddy declared that we need to have it in the regular rotation. The secrets are homemade sauce, a combo of brick and mozzarella cheese and spicy Italian sausage. Oh, and the pan.




Comfort food.

Mike recently made brisket when we had my brother and sister-in-law for Sunday night dinner. It was such a treat.


Sausages smothered in peppers and onions is another family favorite with some crusty bread or pasta, it's a stick to your ribs meal.


Jess came for dinner last night. I made us cubano paninis and sent her home with a plate of cookies.

Father Tim's sermon last Sunday. The church was so full we had to sit in the very first pew. I sort of love that spot.

Home sweet home.


No comments: