Friday, June 8, 2018

Grateful Friday

Today I give thanks for...

Stevie Wonder's Don't You Worry About a Thing just came on and I am dancing in my chair here thinking that nothing's going to bother me today.

Promotions. Last night we celebrated Lily's graduation from 8th grade. I have 100 pictures and at least 1000 words to share about the night...the journey. It seems like nano seconds. One day I was sending her to kindergarten and the next to high school. Time is just such a relentless tease.


She's sleeping in this morning after an emotional night. There was singing and dancing and lots of silly selfies at the dance, but there were also tears. At the end of the party, the realization hit them: this chapter is ending.

After Teddy's global exam, junior year will be history. So he's about 90 minutes and 1800 words away from senior year.


The smell of fresh-cut lilacs. I only wish they would last longer or forever.


Summer baking. It's a thing. I have to say that these s'more cookies were kinda perfection and skillet cookies are always a fam favorite. Last night's strawberry shortcake was definitely company worthy. The grandparents seemed to very much enjoy it with generous scoops of vanilla custard. It was my dinner with a glass of rose.




Full moons, the gloaming and bald eagles, and all in one zen capture. A postcard of some of my favorite things.


True love.


She was over the moon about the new bat we got her for graduation. The Easton Ghost is THE bat. She's been in the backyard every night taking her 100 swings. 


Okay now Billy Joel's Just The Way You Are is on and I can hear and feel that my mom is here. Of course she is. She wouldn't miss Lily's big day. I was just too busy and distracted to get that last night. Thanks for not giving up on me mom...I couldn't love you any better.

Friends. I got a call from a friend this week. She needed to talk about some tough stuff. Stuff I get because I've been beside her most of our lives. She's truly one of the best people I am blessed to have in my life and it hurts me that she's hurting, but it honors me that she trusts me with her feelings. She knows I'll be gentle with them and honest with her.

Trail walks. First the woods greened up, and now they are being taken over by colorful wild flowers. The strong stench of garlic mustard is over-powered now by the sweet smell of buttercups, phlox and asters. Ducklings swim in mossy creeks, chipmunks hurry into holes right under my feet, and the only trace of deer are their tracks left overnight. I'm so close to home and also a million miles away. Isn't that just the beauty of it: losing and then finding yourself once again?





This rico suave bathroom attendant who assumed his perch during my dinner party.


This guy who keeps the clean laundry company until I can fold it. Casa Wags would be a house not a home without this tandem duo...our ginger goofballs.


Culinary inspiration in hostess gifts. Spices are one of my true love languages.


My back door beggars. They just want to get outside. They are patio cats at heart.


On the Wings of Love just came on. I'm done. I've got to go and talk to my mom.

No comments: