Tuesday, May 4, 2010

TAKE ME OUT TO THE BALLGAME(S)





It was a beautiful baseball filled weekend. Beautiful as in perfect sun-kissed summer days in spring, and beautiful as in victorious and fun-filled. T. Bone had back to back games Saturday (10-9) and Sunday (13-12). One was truly more exciting (and nerve racking) than the next. Although he's a younger player on the squad, he's definitely a leader calling plays and talking up his teammates. He's confident in his role as catcher rarely letting a ball go by, and focused in his role as pitcher striking out the top of the Marlins line-up and holding them after a quick three outs. He's got such a love of the game (not to mention a great deal of talent) that it is contagious.

He came home from his game Sunday afternoon and headed straight out into the yard to play catch with his Dad and his sister who is practicing for her summer career as a Shark. It sounds more ominous than it is seeing as how the team is mostly made up of 5 and 6 year old girls toting pink mitts and pig tails. This is her first team sport save for micro soccer which we don't count since the coach taught them mayhem instead of mastery. Not surprising...She had a slight case of the nerves. In between bites of pop tarts on the patio, I caught T. Bone playing catch with her and giving her pointers...being so patient and proud and pumping her up. It was a sweet big brotherly deed, and it worked because when we arrived at practice Saturday morning she ran right onto the field and never looked back. She was even more eager come practice Sunday. Her first game is next week...should be cute, and probably a little long since they'll be lucky to get hits and get on base not smacking the ball into the outfield and stealing them.

When we weren't cheering on the Sharks or the Sox, we were spending time with family and friends. We had company each night for dinner and/or drinks and it just really felt like summer. It also tasted like summer. Sunday night we had grilled ribs and burgers, sweet, buttery, salty corn on the cob and juicy watermelon. The kids didn't even have room for the giant cookies my brother brought them for dessert so they packed them in their Monday lunches.

After all the excitement, I didn't sleep much last night. It turns out that was a blessing because I had a lot on my mind and needed the time to think. It was cathartic to give weight to the thoughts looping through my brain and the feelings hurting my heart, to feel the heaviness lifted, and the comfort of renewed clarity. Of course, I fell asleep just in time to be woken by the birds starting their day just before dawn. I was so exhausted tonight that I couldn't keep my eyes open to see the end of an hour long show that's twice had this effect on me, and yet here I type at just after 2:00 a.m. wide awake again. Ugh! Insomnia...it's such a lonely, restless, desperate thief. And then daylight comes and I've got people who need me even if I've only slept 40 winks and so I've got to get up and come back to life. I hear my Mom bravely saying, "It is what it is," and I hear Matt Nathanson singing, "All we are we are and every day is a start of something beautiful." They're both right you know.

No comments: