Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Top O' the Mornin to Ya!

I didn't want to get out of bed this morning and I couldn't figure out why until I remembered that today is St. Paddy's Day. It's been a rough week already, and here we are at March 17th. I feel like I'm being kicked when I'm already down. Last year this day was a doozey too because it was such a favorite of my Mom's. How can I not think of her....miss her even more...on a day that she so loved to celebrate? I miss her Irish jokes, sharing a green beer, dreaming together about traveling to Ireland someday. It's hard to feel lucky today.

And really how lucky are the Irish anyways? Cursed with famines and a bloody civil war that is still being waged?

Nonetheless...I had to get up. I turned the frosting for our cinnamon buns green lest my own children go hungry. Miss Bit declared the outcome even more magically delicious than usual. Then I shamrocked my kids (shirts, cheeks, headbands, boxers and fingernails too) and sent them on their merry ways. I couldn't convince either one of them to let me give them the green freckles my Mom gave me year after year, and they're too young for her O'Shit button. O' Well!











And then I look at these two and I am so quickly reminded of just how crazy lucky I am.

No comments: