Sunday, November 5, 2023

weekending

I knew it was going to be a good day when I woke up early and then realized I gained an hour. Slow to go Sunday mornings are my jam. I like to make my coffee and take my time easing into the day. That extra 60 minutes made for guilt-free lounging. A little Food Network, some news, kitty time, puzzles, FaceTime with the kids and the list for the day ahead. Really the only thing on it was finishing up our fall yard clean up so after a rare breakfast - we aren't breakfast people even though breakfast food is one of my favorites - we got busy in the yard. It was a beautiful day for being outdoors too so it was actually a pleasure. Hazel watched from windows and doors. Gus retreated to the basement den where he has claimed a basket of blankets as his own. He's our very own prince and the pea.

It was so good to catch up with the kids. Lily had a rough week, but a much better weekend. She stayed in one night and went out the other, went on a coffee date and stocked up at the farmer's market. I have a care package ready to send tomorrow to tide her over until Thanksgiving.

Ted has been crazy busy teaching and learning. I hadn't talked to him since he was home a couple weeks ago. Thank the lord for Meryl who is so good to send me pictures. They were an uncanny Ken and Barbie for Halloween and this weekend they got all dressed up to celebrate one year together. What a year it's been! They ended up at the piano bar where they met. I love young love. I love them.

 

We had a celebration of our own last night. My mother-in-law is turning 80 years young, We had a lovely and delicious dinner at the Range Line Inn and then returned to Casa Wags for dessert: cupcakes and champs. Two bottles for six of us! It's been a trying year for the Wags family losing two pillars and I think we all needed to come together to celebrate a happy occasion. I am certain this is going to be a much better year for her.



Last week we also celebrated Candace's retirement. There was more champs, a ride or two on The Hop, and seafood at the Public Market. Lots of reminiscing and some good laughs. I am over the moon for her to be free of what I know is a toxic work environment. The good thing, the best part of it is that it brought us together. If not for I wouldn't have a Candace or a Jessica in my life. 


My mom was so right when she said that to be blessed is to be able to count your peeps on one hand. Not every friend is a ride or die and that's okay, but we need our tribes. The few friends who know you and love you through the good times and bad, the pretty and the ugly. They know your heart and they protect it. They know your secrets and they keep them. I'm blessed to have a handful of them.


No comments: