Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Hump Day

I left work early enough to need sunglasses on my drive home so I could walk in the daylight on this unseasonably warm Wednesday. I've been loving my evening walks. I usually don't mind walking in the dark, but I've been on a true crime podcast kick and last night I got a tad spooked. My only companions were coyotes and owls and the unsettling stories in my ear buds head.

I was on the path by 4 o'clock. It was dark by the time I approached my driveway an hour later and the sweetest sliver of a crescent moon hung in the sky. The days will continue to get shorter until the solstice next month. Most people groan, but I can be a stubborn contrarian. These days of less light fill me with fealty and reverence. Tis' the season. I embrace it.

I'm going to hold onto it to the point of putting up my dining room tree this week. It's a little early for me to deck the halls, but holidaying my house brings me lots of joy and joy is in short supply these days in the wide world. I'm determined that it won't be at Casa Wags. I've started Christmas shopping slowly. I'm going with the mantra less is more. Fewer things and more acts, deeds, expressions, experiences. No one I know needs anything that I can give them other than something thoughtful that brings a smile and reminds them they are important to me. That's this year's mission.


No comments: