Friday, September 1, 2023

Hello September

The last half of August seemed to linger and also to fly by at science defying speed. Yes, it's true that time can stand still and disappear simultaneously. I'm coming up for air from what was a whirlwind past few weeks with a happy heart over what was a pretty perfect end to our calendar summer.

Ted and Lils are settled in Madison. We moved them in tandem Tuesday. It was a 12 hour day. Ted stayed in the same house, but moved into a new room with new big boy furniture. Lily is the queen of decor. Remind me to change my Amazon password STAT. We came home dog tired, but also proud as peacocks for pulling it off. Pulling it all off. The larger part of Lil's sectional was not getting up the narrow hallway to the second floor. Before waving the white flag, Mike schemed and decided with enough strength, we could hoist it over the railing and through the balcony door. Ted put out an SOS for muscle, Mike went to buy a rope and the troops that graciously gathered succeeded in getting the couch up and over and in. We have so many couch stories. Hopefully, this is the last.

Both their homes are cozy and that gives me a sense of peace...knowing that they are comfortable and safe and happy is a blessing and a relief. They are in good company with good friends.

Our week at Webb Lake was the quintessential end to summer. We take this week for just that reason. It's a the epilogue to the earlier chapters. It complicates back to school, but we know what we're doing now. We are expert movers who have the drill down so we eke out all that we can of time together in one of our happy places.

This year we had a revolving door of guests because my brother and sil were only able to stay for the beginning of the week. We were delighted for Meryl and then Pete, Sue and O. to join us mid week. This north woods compound is nothing short of magic. Magic should be shared, spread, stretched. We did our duty. I'm quite certain not a single one of us was ready to leave and not just because I had to unpack, do many loads of laundry, repack and shop to stock fridges in 36 hours.

I didn't dwell on any of that while I was enjoying my days and nights at Webb Lake. Every day is different and also the same because whether we are in the lake or the hot tub, playing tennis or taking a hike, playing a competitive game of hammerschlagen, team Wits and Wagers, puzzling (Pete's jam), or painting a watercolor (surprisingly one of Ted's jams this year), kayaking steadily or jet skiing real fast (hello Lily and Meryl)...we're together. We play hard, eat well,  sleep as little as possible and take a gazillion pictures. Every day begins on the screen porch with the humming birds and ends around the kitchen table candles lit and wine poured all of us together. In between we swim, sun, ski, boat, tube and at last we soak. We had heart to hearts (Meryl's deep questions), loads of laughs (rowing the full boat across the lake after it died), holy moments (the humming birds playing in  the trees, the eagles flying right overhead, stargazing on the pier, sunsets in the boat on the water, hearing nature's yips and hoots and howls), time to disconnect and recharge (getting lost in a book, cloud watching on the island, or listening to the wind rustle through the birch trees).

One of my highlights is celebrating my birthday in this special place with my peeps. I love waking up  in the company of my family knowing that we have the whole day, and in this case, most of the week to not so much celebrate me, although that happened, but to celebrate this tribe we're blessed to be a part of. 

I have very positive juju for this next year for me and for my family. We are happy and healthy and grateful. We are all in good places surrounded by good people, and what's more...we know it. Appreciate it. Honor it.

At 54, I can say that I am content. All I want is more of this. Please. Thank you. Amen.

 





No comments: