Friday, July 21, 2023

Pause

 

Another week another missed Grateful Friday and weekending post. Oh, but I'm grateful every day and summer is one contiguous weekend. But there is something about stopping here to pay attention to it all. The hen hanging out in our yard is surrounded by her flock who are no longer poults. We've had two yearlings out back sporting peach fuzz antlers. My hydrangeas are as big as grapefruit and magnificent, while other blooms are fading. I mention this as evidence that for everything there is a season. If you are hearing the Byrds: To everything turn, turn, turn.There is a season turn, turn, turn. And a time to every purpose under Heaven, we are on the same page.

My aunt came Sunday for a couple days so this week has been short and fast and good. We didn't do anything special and, yet our time together had it's tidbits. I was just happy to spend time with her, cook for her, drink wine with her. Nothing like company to encourage my A game in the kitchen if I don't say so myself. The pièce de résistance was my NY cheesecake that was so smooth and creamy, and as good as my favorite bakery's. A close second was a pan of spicy breakfast enchiladas that will be on regular rotation. Oh and there was also that zucchini soup with poblanos and leeks that tasted exactly like summer.

This weekend will be quiet. I caught a bug and so I will stay put. It's a good time to pause in the middle of summer. It's a good time to look at the weeks ahead and begin planning for what's next. It's also a good time to contemplate what is important to do before summer's end. In June, it feels like such a abundance of time to cross things off my list. Not obligations, but celebrations, joy moments: tennis matches after work, early morning walks, ice cream dates for dinner, beach days, dinner parties on the patio, stops to stock up at the farmer's market, Wizard matches...to name just a few. Time to get busy.

 

 


No comments: