Thursday, July 6, 2023

july 4th weekending

Today is a glorious day. That's not an overreach. It's perfectly sunny and 70 and it's already Thursday. An extra long weekend makes for a nice short week. It's also a quiet one at Casa Wags. Ted is in Ohio swimming in another great lake and Lily is in the Big Apple today, and currently at the Met. She'll be hopping around New England for a few days with her CT and MA gals. They are both having stellar summers. Me too for the record.



I love the 4th. My affection for America's birthday used to be closely tied to the pride I had for this country. Had is not a typo. I'm not going to go on a rant, but at 247 years old we are still in diapers. We need to stop acting like an insolent child and get back to upholding freedoms and protecting rights. I'm less proud to be an American than I was a decade ago and my faith in our leaders is at an all time low. That being said, I still flew my flag as I hold out hope that we can course correct. 

So my affinity for this holiday this year is all about beach days and bbqs. Being together. It really doesn't feel like the 4th until we Windmill Beachit. The house is no longer, but the beach is still beautiful and the dunes are growing again. A new house will be built next year if all goes as planned. It was the perfect day for a picnic lunch. The water was chilly, but swimmable. Teddy and Lily swam a mile and a half. With her help and the buoyancy of a wet suit, he is getting stronger and faster. She wasn't happy to be following him for the first time in the water, but she didn't have a wet suit, and apparently she's a pretty good swim coach. We came home after dark sun kissed and happy to have spent some time in our favorite place with our peeps.

 


Ted was Madison-bound very early Sunday morning to meet cousin Tim, an avid triathlete, for some training on the bike. He whisked in long enough to join the fam for dinner before heading back to Madison, but this time on the Badger bus. The life of Ted is one of poor planning constant motion. The grandparents were glad to see him and I know he earned his meal. Mike's ribs were finger licking good. I tried a new twice baked tater dish that is my new favorite and I made up a lettuce/coleslaw salad with a buttermilk dressing that was a crowd pleaser. Dessert was my first ever Key Lime Pie, which will definitely not be my last, and hopefully next time I can find some key limes, or I'm told there is such a thing as key lime juice.



In fact, I served another one Monday. Pete and Sue enjoyed two slices each, which confirms this recipe is indeed a winner. We had a great visit with them, but when do we not. Mike grilled steak burgers that were so good we cooked them again on Tuesday. I lost Wizard by an embarrassing amount.

We slept in on the 4th and missed the parade, but that was sort of our plan. It was hot and humid so a perfect day for the lake or Mom's pool, but I convinced Mike to wash windows instead, and I'm still not sure how. At the end of the day, we watched the fireworks from our front picture windows and were perfectly happy with that choice.

  

No comments: