Monday, April 11, 2022

Weekending

Lil's prom was two Saturdays ago. I was anxious all day because I remember my own high expectations when I was her age. I just wanted her to have a fabulous time with her friends. She looked stunning in her simple, elegant dress.The young men and women all looked so grown up and glam. I had the same conversation several times with other mothers about years are minutes and how are we already here: our baby girls poised and beautiful ladies deep in a season of lasts. It's one of those times our language fails me...there is no adequate word to convey this feeling. It's the textbook definition of happysad and obviously two words.












This weekend was another good one. Quality time spent with family and friends. We celebrated my bil, Mark's, bday with a Spanish feast Saturday night. I love when I'm inspired by a theme and excited to try new recipes. I made empanadas for the first time. They were easy and delicious so they'll be back. Dinner was our favorite Spanish Chicken. Think paprika...sweet, smoky and hot. And garlic. I roast it with big fat Manzanilla olives, baby potatoes, onions, jalapenos and cauliflower, and then serve it with a silky aioli. I made a Basque Cheesecake for dessert. How have I never done this before. We lingered around the table enjoying a Malbec and then a Tempranillo while sharing dreams and memories. It was so nice that Lils had dinner with us before going out with friends. It was a good night at the end of which I did an Irish goodbye. Thankfully, because Sunday was a full day.

I had a maskless theatre date with Candace. We saw and loved Ain't Too Proud to Beg...the music, the story and the level of performance was insane. The crowd was energized and it was palpable. Also enduring. I was still smiling today. After the show, we walked back to Candace's. She opened a bottle of champs and made some popcorn and we talked until the bottle was empty, but my heart was full.

Life feels a little bit of a whirlwind lately because there are a lot of moving pieces. I resist feeling overwhelmed by carving out the moments of connection I need to be.here.now becuase really what's the alternative?



No comments: