Thursday, November 28, 2019

Happy Thanksgiving

Sometimes the preparation of the feast is the easy part of this holiday. All the time and attention that goes into brining then roasting the bird, deciding which deceased relative's stuffing to make and assembling the cast of sides is a beautiful thing. An effort everyone around the table appreciates. Most, myself included, would say that Thanksgiving is about togetherness, but that's sometimes the difficult part. When we gather, we come with flowers and wine, our egos, and pain and grudges. Or sometimes we don't come at all. And don't get me started on those who are no longer able to join us. The places they hold are not at the table, but in our hearts.

I want to offer that gratitude's cousin is humility. It takes an unassuming heart to forgive even when you still feel wronged. I'm able to forgive trespasses because I can see my part in the situation. Sometimes it takes time, a good night's sleep, some prayer, but I'm pretty good at considering the views, motivations, and feelings of others. It's hard when you put yourself in another's shoes to not have some understanding and empathy even in the heat of the moment. That's more difficult for some people.

And I guess the nugget I'm really trying to impart is that our relationships deserve the same care and attention as the turkey.  

This Thanksgiving morning is starting the way they all do. I'm up first enjoying my coffee in my NYC mug while I watch the parade. Celine Dion just sang her new song and I tried hard not to go down the rabbit hole. My mom took me to my one and only Celine Dion concert. I was just out of college and not a fan. The trip to Chicago in a limo sealed the deal though. It ended up being a fabulous show. That woman can sing and she's an amazing performer and I was with my mom on a girl's night in Chi-town. I'm at a place now where those reminders make me smile. They lift my heart. I feel lucky and have immense gratitude that we made wonderful memories together. I accept that there will be no new memories.

I put up her tree last night sans tears. Again I felt blessed. It's extra radiant this year thanks to the warm white LED twinkling lights my husband added. I was listening to Bing Crosby Christmas as I unwrapped each ornament and carefully placed them on the tree. I added a glass hummingbird this year. Those little marvels always make me feel connected to my mom. Birds are our thing. One of our things. I was almost done decorating when Ted and Cole arrived hungry. Luckily I had some chicken drummies roasting in the oven. That made me think of Rosie who always had something in the oven just in case someone stopped by. I fed them and sent them on their way to gather with their squad. They're still together this morning. I miss my mom, and I know how much she is missing, but I also know that she is smiling down on my happy house. My grateful life.

Soon Mike will get up and we'll take our annual walk. I'll finish my French silk pie. We don't prefer pumpkin. We're going over the river and through the woods to a restaurant on the lake. My Dad's kitchen is in flux, so we're going out. I'm not exactly keen on it, but it is what it is. That being said, I'm sure it'll be lovely. And most of us will be together. A little piece of my heart is with those who are not at their place around the table. And I will continue to pray for forgiveness and give thanks for every thing big and small every day. I'm a 365 days of Thanksgiving gal.

No comments: