Friday, September 22, 2017

Grateful Friday

Today I five thanks for...

Spending yesterday with my guy. The kids were off. Guess where Ted was? If you said golfing, that'd be correct. Lily made plans to hang out with a friend. Mike and I picked apples, went out for lunch and went for a swim.


Another bushel of apples. This time Fujis, Courtlands, Galas and Macintosh. We took a peck to my in-laws in exchange for a dozen ears of the most delicious sweet corn.

An impromptu afternoon visit, swim and soak with my in laws. Their hot tub has done wonders for my ankle this past week.

Dinner out with Jess on my Mom's birthday. It was a beautiful night to enjoy La Merenda patio, a bottle of rioja and an assortment of small plates. My favorite was the chive crepes filled with pork belly and served with a porcini mushroom sauce. I very much enjoyed the beef empanadas with aioli, the crostini topped with goat cheese curds and chorizo and the garlic spinach as well. It was god to be together and, of course, the best part was the company.


Last night of summer, 2017. A beautiful finale for a fine summer.


Movie night tonight. We're going to see IT at the prompting of my anti-horror film daughter's urging. I sure hope we don't regret this. On the other hand, if she likes this, there are so many classics that I can't wait to watch with her.

The perfect loaf. I've been experimenting with different baking pans, but I finally came to the conclusion that what works best for this peasant bread recipe is a good old fashioned metal loaf pan.



Ted golfed a 71 and a 77 this week.

Tomorrow we're celebrating my dad's 70th birthday. I have one gift that I think he's kinda sorta going to love. That's a win for him too because he's impossible to buy for.

It's fall although Mother Nature has yet to get the memo. This unseasonable heat wave will break next week and usher in the cooler temperatures that will invite cozy sweaters, comfort food, colorful walks, warm flannel, quiet nights, football Saturdays and all that other good stuff.

No comments: