Friday, December 16, 2016

Grateful Friday

Today I give thanks for...

Reflection. It's been a tough week, but also a good one. Yada yada...take the good with the bad and make lemonade out of lemons. True, but not always easy. 

Kindred spirits. Last Friday after a big downer of a day, I invited my friend who'd had the same kind of day for drinks. We enjoyed a couple glasses, shared a few laughs and everything shifted right there in front of that sparkly tree. We both felt it.


Snowstorms both last weekend and this weekend. There are 7-10 inches in our overnight forecast and that just makes me giddy because it's permission to stay inside both literally and figuratively.





Yet last weekend we braved the snow one night and the cold the next. We accepted spontaneous invitations. Saturday to see our old friends new house, and then football Sunday at my brother and sil's in their new kitchen.

This girl's new obsession with slime. Yes, she's growing up, but it's these kinds of things that remind me of the little girl she once was.


A shopping day with my guy mid-week. We're almost done. We treated ourselves to lunch as a reward for our success. Shopping (at least this kind of frenetic consumerism) is not my favorite and he likes it even less.

Peanut's eye lashes and Tigger's whiskers. 

Keeping warm however we can.






This word and perfect sentiment...
Attending Miss Bit's Winter Sing. Truth be told...I wasn't looking forward to it. As the concert started, I had a heck of a headache. The orchestra played one number and then two and I felt the tension in my temples ease and then the unproductive thoughts on loop in my head float away. It was amazing. The thoughts and then the pain would seep back in and then I would let them go again. The unhealthy physical manifestation of my mental stress was obvious. By the time the choir came on, I was in a much better, lighter space. They sang only three songs. First was The Beetle's Let It Be, then Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah and the last number was Mariah Carey's All I Want For Christmas. I have a new appreciation for the last number (which I've never been a big fan of) because they all donned Santa hats and had such fun with the song. Truthfully, I felt that I needed to hear each of these songs...they held messages I needed to embrace and take with me into the rest of Advent.


Family. My in-laws joined us for the performance. Teddy even attended. We came home for dessert which was my extra decadent chocolate mousse and a little homemade Irish cream. I think we all felt the hygge.




Another angel for my tree. This one from a friend whose MIL recently passed away. She was quite a woman and I feel truly blessed to have this little memory of her...this talisman for my tree. She's in good company too as I have angel's from my mom, my grandma, my great grandma, Mike's grandma and my cousin Carol.



A full and brilliant moon this week.



The winter solstice is on the horizon and yes there is still so much I don't understand. 

What I do know is that it was a great night. Mike brought home pizzas and we played Clue. I even won once and I suck at Clue.





Now I'm going to curl up in front of the tree and watch the snow fall.


More hygge.

Peace.

No comments: