Saturday, May 28, 2016

May Inventory

Reading slowly and not often enough. I don't know what it is, but lately I literally cannot keep my eyes open after just a couple pages. I recently finished H is for Hawk. It was touted as a memoir as much about grief as falconry, but I think it was heavy on the later. At times I found myself a little lost in the long rambles about T.H. White and definitely anxious for the end, but it was a worthy read. May We Be Forgiven was more conducive for reading spurts as it was easy to get into and quick to hold my attention, but it was long. I was ready for the end after close to 600 pages, and I appreciated the conclusion too. Just finished My Name is Lucy Barton. This book found its way to me with so many rave reviews, but it wasn't until the end that I understood it's impact. I read somewhere that the silences were loud. Strout's restraint delivered a story that is haunting and powerful in what wasn't said and that left undone.

Wondering if it is possible to truly know another person. Really know them.

Watching baseball and softball games, and spring season finales. Now that DWTS and Survivor are over, I don't really have a show and I may keep it that way. 

Listening to the Steely Dan  and the New Order stations on Pandora. They both remind me of really happy times in my life.

Eating Whole30 starting June 1st because I've been eating too many muffins lately, which is to say sugar and white flour and butter. I'm nervous and excited. Nervous because I know it's going to be a challenge. Excited because I need a tough test. The hardest thing is going to be preparation of an extra meal. Most nights I prepare two already, or I adapt the meal for one of the kids. That and no wine. That will probably be the hardest component if I'm to truly come clean. 



Wanting more hours in the day. That desire seems to make the cut here regularly.



Thinking that as the days get longer, they expire faster.

Enjoying more relaxed attitudes as we near the end of the school year, watching both my kids pitch, the rewards of hard work around the yard, curating a gallery wall above our bed, open windows and fresh air, evening thunderstorms and summer dreams.



Loving Trader Joe's almond croissants, watching Lily's clever and creative Musically videos, my new Birkenstocks, the long weekend ahead and lots of family time.



No comments: