Friday, March 18, 2016

Grateful Friday

Today I give thanks for...

Even though I'm not 100%, I gave 100%.  I'm still sick and a little down, but I didn't let it bring me down.  I took my vitamins (all of them almost every day), downed ridiculous amounts of water, ate mostly healthy and had a number of good work outs.  Although we eat relatively healthy (minimal processed or fast food, lots of fresh fruit and veggies, low fat protein and dairy), I had gotten away from reading labels and making the healthiest choices.  This happens over time because it takes work and a lot of time to be as conscious and committed as I want to be.  

That being said, we ate corned beef that Mike cooked in the pressure cooker and it was such a treat. It was St. Paddy's day after all.

My Irish heritage.

This preparation for cabbage.  Cut head into ribbons.  Mix with a little canola oil, a teaspoon of sugar and salt & pepper to taste.  Then cut 3-4 carrots into ribbons (I use my peeler) and marinate with cider vinegar and hot sauce.  Combine and roast at 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes until slightly charred.  It is the perfect bite of sweet, sour, salty and spicy.  Lily and I like it with sliced onion too, but the boys don't so I skipped it.


I didn't make soda bread this year.  Instead I made muffins with the overripe fruit: one batch of banana and another batch of blueberry.  These blueberry muffins aren't lookers, but they taste so good.  The secrets are almond flour, almond extract, plain Greek yogurt and, of course, fresh berries.


An afternoon at the salon.

Not one, but two new pairs of jeans I love.  

A new mattress.

A mid-week date night with Mike.

Longer days.

A walk down to the beach on a crazy windy day.  Lake Michigan was so many shades of blue and green it almost took my breath away.




More self-care this quiet weekend.