Friday, September 20, 2013

Grateful Friday

Today I give thanks for...

Bee sting bravery.  Coach and Miss Bit set out on a bike ride one late afternoon.  They came home huffing and puffing and telling a tall tale about losing their bikes to a swarm of bees.  I said yada yada 'cuz Coach is rather inclined towards pranks.  I realized this one time they weren't bluffing when I saw the 5! welts on Miss Bit's arms and legs.  He didn't have his phone so they had to run the mile home.  He suited up in a makeshift bee suit and I drove them back to free the bikes from the angry bees they disturbed while portaging their bikes over their nest in a log. The end.  Although I'm still hearing about it.

Dyson and our new vacuum.  I am a little bit beside myself over this recent purchase.  It's one of those things where I wonder how and just why I ever got on before it  Coach is smitten too.  He vacuumed every room of the house the other day and then came to show me the disgraceful contents of every canister in need of emptying.  It was charming...really.

A Wrinkle in Time.  Miss Bit and I just started this children's classic.  It is one I, somehow, never read in my youth so now we are enjoying it together.  It's such a special way to end the day: curled up with a book, my favorite girl and a cat or two.

I started listening to The Kitchen House.  I loved it instantly:  the story, the characters and the narrator, and was amazed that it's Grissom's first novel.

Amy Tan has a new novel out.  She is the best of the best.  I'm excited to get my hands on it.

A new toy for Peanut. He loves it maybe like I love my Dyson...only I don't sleep with my vacuum, or stare at it constantly...longingly.

A new season of DWTS.  The contestants were all rather impressive this week.  I have a feeling it's going to be an entertaining season.

Eager Miss Bit almost joined the dive team.  She saw a group of swimmers and a coach stretching on the pool deck and she joined them before I directed her to the correct team.  She is just all enthusiasm for her new sport.

She is also excited to have two ensemble rolls in Aladdin this January.  All she wanted was to be on stage and sing in a group, and again I'm very proud of her.

My new favorite way to roast chicken: stuff the cavity with halved lemons and heads of garlic.  The flavors are subtle, but delicious.

Miss Bit and I banged out the back to school shopping this week.  It was a one stop spree, and now she is all set for fall.  Whew!  Of course, now she wants the weather to change so she can wear all her new clothes

This opinion piece.  Bill Flanagan's gripe about no problem is my gripe too.  The clerk at the establishment we just spent a chunk of change in with no help from her, said just that to me when I thanked her.  Even my 9 year old daughter knows the correct response was you're welcome. I was the one working up a sweat schlepping and hanging and folding.

T. Bone told me that I need to really open a bakery this week.  He ate 2 cinnamon struesel muffins per sitting.

Hummingbird moths.

Black squirrels.

Fall starts Sunday.

Owl prowls.  We're going on one tonight.