Friday, March 9, 2012

Grateful Friday

Today I give thanks for...


  • My guys are skiing the slopes of Colorado right now. T. Bone was jazzed beyond jazzed to take this trip, and his Dad and Uncle were rather stoked as well.


  • A girl's weekend with Miss Bit. The plans are still tentative, but are rumored to involve a St. Paddy's Day parade, a movie, a hike and some arts and crafts.


  • A good deal of spontaneity in our lives lately. I'm a girl who likes a plan, but I am enjoying the freedom of a more come what may and why not kind of attitude.


  • My Dad gifted me a spa certificate even though it's not my birthday so that I can accompany the two birthday girls for a day of beauty.


  • Spying bluebirds in the park during my walk this week and hearing the endless chirp and chatter that is spring.


  • 17 straight days of exercise of at least some kind and duration. I have always known that I am a much happier person when I get moving, but this Lenten promise has surely proven it.


  • Another pan of baked oatmeal this week. This time I added nectarines, bananas and blueberries. It was even better than last week.


  • I finally broke down and got my hair done. I had been holding out for an aha moment, but I finally realized there wouldn't be one. Change is hard for me.


  • My girl is feeling back to herself. I got the call to come get her from school a little early Monday afternoon because she was feeling punky. As she cuddled up beside me on the couch, she apologized for making me have to leave work early. That's just exactly the kind of kind person she is.


  • Last week Miss Bit reminded me that we needed to start shopping for a First Communion Dress. I took the liberty of ordering one I had seen online, but I didn't really expect her to go for it because although it is a stunning ivory Dupioni silk number, it is rather plain by a 7 year old's standards. Plain to me means age appropriate and also elegant. I don't want my daughter to look like a grown-up bride in a beaded up, laced to the nines over-priced dress. I want her to look like the beautiful little girl she is. Well, it came this week. She stripped in the family room, tried it on immediately and fell in love with it straight away. It really is perfectly sweet and simple for her special day, and I got it for a song. I am grateful for that because I know my girl. She will beg to take the dress off and go out to play before the party has even started.


  • A Thursday night date with my girl....Shamrock shakes whipped up in our own blender sipped on while watching Little House on the Prairie. She was emotional after dropping the boys off at the airport. I tried to console her while I drove, but she asked me to please be quiet. "I'm trying to refresh my memory. My memory of Daddy," she said. Cue the awwww! That girl is sweeter than any shake.


  • Crosswords and Sudokus.


  • It was so springy a couple days this week that I was able to open up the patio door and let the cats enjoy the fresh air.


  • It was incredibly windy today so our block was quickly strewn with garbage waiting to be collected. Without being asked, Miss Bit set about picking up the trash this afternoon(our garbage and that of our 2 neighbors). When I thanked her she said, "It's no big deal Mom. I wanted to."

No comments: