Monday, February 21, 2011

my monday



t. bone and miss bit are off to school. t. bone wasn't overly enthusiastic. i think he was dreaming of a snow day (especially since he completely spaced today's math test until 10 minutes before school), and quick to find the inequity in the fact that many of his friends have off for today's holiday. so much of life is unfair when you are a tween. miss bit was mostly happy to go to school to "learn and grow her brain." i'm convinced that all six year olds own several sets of rose colored glasses and don them daily.

it's snowing again or maybe still. the animals are holed up under boughs and branches, and have yet to visit the critter buffet for breakfast. the pines look like they were flocked overnight and the ashes, aspens and oaks are heavy with the weight of the accumulating snow. the streets are a mess so i plan to stay put today. i have numerous half finished projects crowding my dining room table calling my name.

the truth is that i am happy to be alone today. the heaviness in my heart is a beating metaphor for the snow laden branches skirting my yard. today i'm rife with rue because it was a tradition to spend this holiday with my mom every year. a late winter monday off to enjoy the day the two of us together. so since i cannot join her for a leisurely lunch, it seems fitting that i spend the day by myself, alone with my grief and in solidarity with my sadness. it's true what they say: you never know when you'll miss a loved one lost most. stealth and sly, sadness has a way of sneaking up on us when we least expect it.

today's salve will come from things like hot tea, quiet spaces and the smiles of the ones i love most.

No comments: