Friday, September 17, 2010

Grateful Friday

Today I give thanks for...

School spirit days. Today is sunglasses day - it's supposed to be sunny and 70.

These 2 have been staking their claim in our bed every evening. Last night they turned in while we were having dinner...it wasn't even dark yet! I thought they were supposed to sleep all day.

When my kids like my cooking. During dinner one night this week, Miss Bit asked if she could have some more garlic noodles if she finished the rest of her dinner. I told her she could if she was still hungry. Do you know what she said? "Oh I want some even if I'm not still hungry!"


When my kids are self aware. The other night T. Bone told me that he knew why we sent him to a new school. He confessed, "You wanted me to learn more. I know it cuz' I'm already learning so much more."
A mid-week 6 miler with my hubby before dinner. When I walk and talk with him, the miles go quickly.
Crossing projects off my list. I edited and ordered close to 1000 pictures last weekend.
A walk down memory lane...time to relive lots of great times and trips.
Exercising my right to vote and effect C-H-A-N-G-E!
Spending time with the ladies of my family at one of our favorite art fairs. I was hemming and hawing over a couple rings. I made my choice and then later my Aunt surprised me with the runner up while we caught up over cocktails and snacks.
While my kids were having fun with their cousins at my in-laws Saturday, I stayed home and in my pjs all day long. The house was completely silent all day long as I worked. I finally turned on the t.v. and poured a glass of wine at 8:00.
Fall scented candles.
I finished The Book Thief sobbing last night. The Epilogue made the other 500 some odd pages worth it. Especially these quotes are resonating with me:
'Don't punish yourself,' she heard her say again, but there would be punishment and pain, and there would be happiness, too. That was writing.
His soul sat up. It met me. Those kinds of souls always do - the best ones. The ones who rise up and say, 'I know who you are and I am ready. Not that I want to go, of course, but I will come.' Those souls are always light because more of them have been put out. More of them have already found their way to other places.
I wanted to tell the book thief many things, about beauty and brutality. But what could I tell her about those things that she didn't already know? I wanted to explain that I am constantly overestimating and underestimating the human race - that rarely do I ever simply estimate it. I wanted to ask her how the same thing could be so ugly and so glorious, and its words and stories so damning and so brilliant.
And also the last line of the book, but I won't give it away.
Now I'm onto The Lacuna. I was able to get well into it last night thanks to being sick.
Nyquil.
Survivors, and I don't mean the contestants on cbs.
Organization.
Purging. There was a cake mix from 2000 in my pantry...it was time.
Sneaking in to pry his book out of his hands and turn off T. Bone's light at night without disturbing him every night this week because he's so tuckered out at the end of the day. When he sleeps he still looks like my wee little boy. Then I stop in and cover Miss Bit up, kiss her and smell her sweet breath. She'll always be my Lil Bit.
I drove past my erstwhile friend the other day and was like 'Wow' because of a recent dream and an errant sighting over the weekend. The uncanny timing made more of an impact on me than actually seeing her face. See what happens when you put that energy out there. There's something to be said for manifesting our own destinies.
Miss Bit wants to be a butterfly for Halloween. Butterflies have been reminding me of my Mom lately so I was touched by that although I've yet to see any pink and purple ones.
T. Bone wants to be a scary clown carrying a chain saw. Hmmm...not much to feel warm and fuzzy with on that front.
Inspiration in the kitchen this week: chicken Marsala, spinach quiche, spicy tomato soup, roasted veggie quesadillas.
Last night T. Bone gave me a big, looong bear hug before bed and whispered in my ear in his baby voice, "You're the best Mommy ever." (That was even after I denied him a malt for dessert.)
This morning Miss Bit came barreling up the stairs to tattle on her brother. She said, "He's really bursting my bubbles Mom!" I looked at her rather confused and she clarified, "Mom he's annoying me!" Like what's wrong with me...Duh!

No comments: