Wednesday, July 22, 2026

fresh air

 

I've been holed up in the house the last couple days because I've been under the weather. I'm gaining on it today and just in time because it's a perfect summer day...no humidity and no Canadian wildfire smoke. There are cats in every open window. Revised to say there were cats in windows. All four of them are enjoying their afternoon sleeps in their spots.

 

The kids brought M&M over late last night and stayed long enough for a Korean beef bowl and a slice of Grandma Rose's Banana Cake. They left early this morning for Lakeside. Meryl was as happy as I've seen her in awhile and for that I'm grateful. The whole H family is converging on Lake Erie. It's been quite some time since they've all been together. I'm wishing them a beautiful week together in their happy place.

Ted's on a happy streak. He and Uncle B Bone earned the win in last weekend's Tripoli invitational. The accolades will live on long beyond the generous prizes. We got a comprehensive recap of all 58 holes last night. I would have loved to watch the shoot-out, but we had Uncle Chris's 50th birthday dinner. It was a good group for a good guy.

 

I'm happiest when my peeps are happy. It's a good day when we can celebrate someone we care for a long coveted champ title, a milestone birthday, a baby on the way, a new job, a retirement date in the purview, a move, a commitment to health and any number of other wins big and small. 

My Grandpa was known to often drop And I should complain in a conversation or even into a stretch of complete silence. I get it. When he visited our first house, he sat in the family room looking out of the park across the street like we had a view of the Pacific and not an empty parcel of land called the Tot Lot by the neighbors. In his eyes, we were making it. We hadn't made it, whatever that really means, but we were working hard, doing well and happy. I'm sure he knew there would be bumps and bruises and a few earth shattering take downs because that's life something he was more than familiar with after seventy some years.

I have that very same pinch me feeling when I spend time with my nieces and nephews who lost their father in a terrible way at a terrible time. The didn't check out. They grew up. I'm so proud of the way they took care of each other and went on doing life. They all have loving partners and jobs and happiness. I know from experience that the loss is always there, but you cannot let it define you. I believe it's inspired them to live their best lives. And that is a breath of fresh air in these days of rampant victim hood.


No comments: