Sunday, August 13, 2023

Catching Up

I haven't left the house all weekend. By choice, I have stayed home. Happily at home. Today has been a bit broody and the temps hint of what's to come. The slider is open, but I'm sitting here wrapped in an afghan content with the peace and quiet and even the chill in the air because I know it's not here to stay yet.

Last weekend was very full celebrating our birthday girl. She had a blast at Windmill Beach with friends on Saturday. Lake Michigan was wavy and warm and they swam their hearts out. The water was not quite as inviting when we went for a gloaming family swim last week so we know to celebrate those random few and far between days that are perfect for swimming. I was up early Saturday putting together a picnic lunch. I made a mountain of wraps: buffalo chicken and chicken Caesar, cut a watermelon and an assortment of veggies for hummus. A duo of bars were better suited for the beach than a cake. Lil made sure to bring her birthday tiara. When we arrived to pick them up, they were all waiting outside and the tree house was spotless. They hauled the coolers up from the beach. Have I told you how much I love my daughter's friends? My son's peeps?

The party continued on Sunday. We hosted the fam for another celebration of our best girl. It had to be chicken again because...Lily so we did fajitas and threw an arrachera steak on the grill next to the bird. I made what my 3 claimed was THE Best ice cream cake yet. My girl requested real cream not whip cream, and she was right. She stocked up on flowers, cash and beauty products. Hey 19.

This week was a bit of a blur. We had a very sick kitty which made for a stressful few days. I am so grateful that Finn is back. He had some kind of infection and didn't eat for 6 days. He lost 3 pounds. He weighed 10. Things turned around in the nick of time after 2 vet visits, a couple sleepless nights and lots of prayers.

It's the main reason I have been happy to be home this weekend. I spent time getting things ready for our Northwood's vacation and Lil's apartment move in. Mike went to a reunion of all his high school buddies, Lils was saying goodbye to the first wave of friends back to school, and Ted is in Ohio for a wedding. He finished his last day at Anderson Saturday, received a nice job offer for after his year long masters program, left Thursday for Lakeside and I don't expect to see much of him until Webb Lake.







No comments: