Thursday, January 12, 2023

Two Steps Forward

This day is not off to a good start. I woke up and 9:15 feeling like I needed no more sleep. Of course, I didn't...I slept for 10 hours. Lily neglected to wake me up before she left for work. I missed my morning workout. I also missed washing my hair. Thank the powers that be for dry shampoo. I couldn't find my phone anywhere and I looked everywhere. Mike assures me it's somewhere in the bowels of Casa Wags so at least I don't have to worry, but being phoneless is almost like missing an appendage. It's sad, but true.

Lils and I had another great night together. We finally made it to Nordstrom Rack and we made some lucky finds. A super cute beach hat for me and an adorable fair aisle sweater for her. Matching body suits in different sizes obviously, and beauty products. My girl is quite the connoisseur and she didn't get it from me. In fact, she's teaching me tricks. While my routine is no longer au natural, it is still minimalist and also dated. I had my make-up done professionally about a decade ago and I have changed nada since then while my skin has most definitely changed. 

I thought about taking her out for dinner, but we both were feeling home. She made a pan of her sweet and spicy Brussel's sprouts and I mad a big pot of spinach, and we ate our greens, which allowed us dishes of ice cream with our nightly feature film. It's all about balance. Finn took her lap and Gus had mine and all was right with the night...the world. That is until we had to disturb them to go to bed.

When I woke up this morning, the Kit Kats had gotten into a craft bin and there were pipe cleaners all over the house. Hazel was particularly enthralled, but the boys were enjoying them too. They have such distinct personalities, likes and dislikes. It's rare to find something that entices all three. Finn is a tough sell on most toys. Hazel still loves to fetch bright colored balls, furry mice and springs just like a dog. Gus loves and plays with everything...even crumbs on the floor. I feel a cat post coming. They deserve a headline all their own.

That's all I got. I came here wanting to capture the now, not to proselytize, profess or lament. I guess this is part of my practice in presence. So far, I'm doing justice to my 2023 word. I am in a good place thanks to some changes I'm making. There are more in the purview, but long ago I learned that too much is really too much. Changing everything at once leads to my imminent failure. So baby steps it is and if I'm being honest, likely two steps forward, one step back, which is still in the right direction.


No comments: