Saturday, January 7, 2012

Checking In

It has already been a good, full day and the sun is still shining high. I'm here because I have nowhere else I need to be. Well, I could be taking down our Christmas trees, but I don't want to. It's not that I'm dreading the tedium of wrapping and boxing each ornament. No, it's that I'm just not ready...still...yet. I turn the big tree on every morning first thing and I enjoy my coffee in its glowing, peaceful presence. Last year I was so late in being "ready" that our tree sat on the edge of our culvert all winter long because we missed pick up and you need to know that I am proud of that. I don't believe the miracle that is Christmas ends on the 25th.

T. Bone woke up this morning rather sore after breaking in his new totally awesomely rad new snowboard last night. After a pain pill and two perfectly grilled camel's eyes (egg in a hole), he was convinced he could do basketball practice after all. We dropped him downtown at the club and headed due east to walk along the lakefront for a change of pace. The minute we got out of the car I took a whiff of air and swore it smelled exactly like spring. It was another unseasonably nice day, but the wind out of the west was a little biting reminding us that indeed it is just now winter. Hubby and I walked around the lagoon and out along the breakwater for 4+ miles. It was just a great way to start the day. I never knew that they play music when they open the wings of the Calatrava. I do now.

On our way to get T. Bone, we got the call that he hooked up with Uncle B. Bone and wanted to stay and work out more and then go for lunch. I guess that was some pain pill! What that boy won't suffer through to spend time with his Uncle and to get himself some wings. Hubby and I meandered along the side streets finding ourselves at the city's best Italian market only a little by accident. I knew he would love it and I knew he was hungry so I took him in to explore. We bought some fresh pasta, homemade sauce, melt in your mouth Montamore cheese, a bottle of wine and lunch: a mufaletta for him and a meatball sandwich for me. His was better despite the fact that mine was quite delicious too, and thankfully he shared. After we ate, we found ourselves shopping again. We picked up some more sauce and pasta, a couple bottles of Chianti, artichoke fritters, fried ravioli and canolis hoping that my brother and sil will join us for Italian night. They said yes, thankfully.

I set the table, made my Italian vinaigrette and that brings me to here...now.

It brought me to there, but then the phone rang. It was Miss Bit from her sleepover at Aunt L and Uncle L's. She said, "Mom! I have to tell you Alice got surgery. You know that hole in her arm? Well, Aunt L sewed it all up." When I asked if she was OK, she happily reported, "Oh yeah. She used like the exact color thread and you cannot even tell that she ever had a hole. She's as good as new." And that is good news because Alice is very special to Miss Bit. It's her connection to her Nanny. I know the little hole bothered her. I know she was worried that someday Alice would be no more too just like Nanny and neither of us were prepared for that.

I sat back down prepared to muse some more when I heard a cat literally wailing. It sure sounded to be coming from outside. It couldn't be one of my boys I knew because they were cozy inside. But I had to be sure. Check...Tigger was in his favorite afternoon chair, but Peanut...he was nowhere to be found. Then I remembered that I was in the garage about an hour before. I opened the door, and in he ran. That'll teach him.

Just as I sat down again, T. Bone arrived home, asked for a pain pill and made off with my computer. He had very important business to attend to you see. It's called fantasy football.

I'll pardon those interruptions, and I really don't even mind them one bit despite the fact that the moon is on the rise and I am now out of lost time.

Buonanotte.

No comments: