Sunday, January 31, 2010

Coffee Talk










My ever so generous hubby gave me a gift already this morning. He insisted I stay home and do whatever I want while he went to pick up T. Bone and Miss Bit from his parent's and shuttle them to Sunday school. I owe him big time. Huge!

It is such a treat to have quiet time all to myself in the middle of this busy weekend. You see my ears are still ringing after T. Bone's birthday bash that started Friday at 5:00 when parent after parent dropped boy after boy off and wished us "good luck," and finally ended mid-day yesterday when I had to work real hard to keep from smiling from ear to ear when they came to pick them back up. Seven boys make for ear drum shattering noise. They don't talk...they shout, and since they're all shouting, the decibels rise until it's so noisy you cannot even hear yourself think. The party was a hit for them because they all had fun. We count it a success because they all survived. It's an added bonus (and a miracle) that we survived too!

We were brave (or clueless ) enough to take them out into public for bowling and pizza. They were smart to stick us in the far corner having experienced this demographic before, no doubt. I only wish that the vending machines were not so prominent as the last thing any of these boys needed was sugar. They bowled 2 games lickedy split cheering strikes and spares, and loudly lamenting splits. Miss Bit and her friend A. joined in on the fun. Lil Bit was the first bowler to get a strike. She closed out her games with 2! She ate up all the attention she got from the boys for her prowess on the lanes. The pizzas were then devoured before they hit the table thankfully washed down by caffeine-less Sprite and Root Beer. Things went according to my plan as they left the piles of pizza crusts and caches of cupcake crumbs at the bowling alley. Don't worry...we paid them well.

They filed into the basement as soon as we arrived home, turned out the lights and waged a Nerf gun battle into the wee hours. Apparently, it was a covert operation to which we parents were not privy that the boys would come bearing arms managing to amass an awesome arsenal. The battle ended around midnight when hubby called a cease fire, but was back on early the next morning. I only thought I was dreaming as dawn approached that it sounded like my house was under attack. As far as I know, we had 7 boys all named "Dude" take over our basement for the night. They emerged from the bunkers for breakfast having worked up quite an appetite. All I can say is I didn't dare descend into their world until they were packing up to leave because I knew I didn't have the stomach for the carnage. I have a new found love and respect for our basement.

Miss Bit enjoyed a "soft sleepover" at A.'s. They shared her plush bed, her quiet room and boyless house, and I think that about sums it up. It makes perfect sense to me. I saw the girls running around the backyard as I was cleaning up breakfast so at one point we had 9 charges adding to the chaos. Later in the day, she was dreaming of the night she can have so many friends sleep over. No doubt, the shouts will be replaced by screams, and seances, prank calls and grueling games of truth or dare will be substituted for brutal Nerf battles. I think I'll start therapy now.

No comments: